Monday, December 20, 2010

Debugging Windows Server 2008R2 Event ID 6037 - "The target name used is not valid"

I found this error in the event logs on my WFE after trying to configure kerberos for a SharePoint 2010 farm (in a small farm configuration, with specified service accounts for application pools)

Source: LsaSrv
Event ID: 6037
The program w3wp.exe, with the assigned process ID 1234, could not authenticate locally by using the target name HTTP/ The target name used is not valid. A target name should refer to one of the local computer names, for example, the DNS host name.

Try a different target name.

The curious thing is that the target name is a Kerberos SPN >_>

the URL listed in the error is registered in DNS correctly, and I can ping it from the WFE. I found a blog post that has a potential fix via a registry hack ( I'm listing it again here for reference - I implemented the fix and so far (for at least an hour) no more of these errors are showing in the event log *keeps fingers crossed!*

  1. Go to REGEDIT > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0
  2. Right click MSV1_0 > New > Multi-String Value
  3. Type 'BackConnectionHostNames'
  4. Right click & select ‘Modify’
  5. Enter the Hostname of the site: WEBSITENAME (and on a new line enter the FQDN, as well)
  6. Restart IIS

1 comment:

Paulo Meireles said...

It worked well! Thanks a lot!!